Project Engineer (CA)
Project Engineer (CA)
Fort Yukon, Alaska
$48/hour - $55/hour
Full-Time, Temporary (Seasonal)
R&M CONSULTANTS, INC. is a well-established, employee-owned multi-discipline Alaskan professional services firm. Since 1969, R&M has participated in some of Alaska’s most significant and technically challenging infrastructure projects. Our construction administration experience includes construction oversight and administration for airport, highway and waterfront improvements, as well as structural vertical and industrial construction projects. We offer these services to a variety of clients, including the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities, Federal Highway Administration – Western Federal Lands Highway Division (WFLHD), Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility, and many municipal governments.
R&M is currently seeking a Project Engineer to support a roadway and bridge reconstruction project in Fort Yukon, Alaska. As a member of the R&M team, the Project Engineer will serve as an on-site construction representative responsible for ensuring delivery of day-to-day project engineering and project management services. The Project Engineer will closely manage and administer all work for which they are responsible through all phases of the project. The Project Engineer may also be required to work closely with cooperating agencies, resource agencies, landowners and other construction project stakeholders. The Project Engineer is the Owner’s liaison at the site and acts as directed by the Owner.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for addressing on-site matters pertaining to construction contract administration working daily with the construction contractor, keeping the Owner advised as necessary.
The ideal candidate will be licensed professional engineer or hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management and have a minimum of 5 years of experience in on-site project administration, or have a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in highway/bridge construction projects, including at least 6 years as a Project or Resident Engineer on State or Federal highway/bridge construction or equivalent highway projects. This must include experience in the following:
- General highway construction practices, methods, techniques, costs, materials and equipment.
- Preparing contract modifications, independent estimates, negotiations, authority memorandums and negotiation of modifications with the contractor.
- Sampling and testing procedures and methods of acceptance, including statistical analysis, of highway/bridge construction soils, materials and products.
- Administration of construction contractor’s work and assignment of inspectors to ensure adequate oversight of contractor’s operations.
- Measurement and documentation of work completed daily and maintaining accurate and complete project records within the client’s prescribed guidelines.
- Analysis of construction contractor critical path and bar chart schedules.
- Construction oversight of environmental mitigation for wetlands, threatened and endangered species; sensitive species; cultural and historical resources; hazardous materials, wild and scenic rivers, wildlife and fisheries; noise; visual, water and air quality; and interagency coordination of environmental concerns.
- Context-sensitive design principles; safety and labor laws and requirements; value engineering proposals; quality control/quality assurance principles; traffic control; materials and construction methods.
- General survey practices and principles.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, desired. Experience in supervision and assigning tasks to project inspectors or office support personnel. Must be proficient in standard office computer software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat OneNote, ), as well as database input and electronic file management software, and other electronic technology, such as digital cameras.
The work requires extensive standing, walking, climbing, bending, lifting and carrying up to 60#. In addition, the Project Engineer will be exposed to varying weather and terrain conditions.
Previous experience on Western Federal Lands Highway projects office is a plus.
Please submit R&M Employment Application, EEO Form (optional), Cover Letter, and Resume to:
R&M Consultants, Inc.
9101 Vanguard Drive
Anchorage, Alaska 99507